default avatar

DCIAA

10/9/2017 1:45:42 AM

I was just wondering if this publication still follows the DCIAA 

Reply To 0vote up 0vote down

Re: DCIAA

10/9/2017 11:56:29 AM
@lilcardo00

Can't speak for the other contributors, but I really haven't had the chance to make it down into DC outside of a HD v Friendship and a Wilson v Bell game a few weeks back. That should change in the upcomng weeks.

default avatar

10/9/2017 6:51:10 AM

Other then FCA ..... not very good football in the DCIAA.  Some very good individual talent but as a whole not very good football.  Just my humble opinion. 

default avatar

Re: Re: DCIAA

10/10/2017 7:46:23 AM
@FootballFanatic11

Compared to what? HD and Friendship can play with just about any public school in the DMV.

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: DCIAA

10/10/2017 8:54:55 AM
@smdeagles

Well that is hardly a compliment. 

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: DCIAA

10/10/2017 6:57:13 PM
@NewDC_Jon

Perhaps the problem is the expectation. Other than WCAC (and I question Carroll and BMC) and a few of the NOVA public schools...Centreville, etc., Wise and a couple of the PG schools, a couple MIAA's HD and Friendship can play with anybody. That covers about 90% Of the high schools between Dulles airport and Baltimore. What do you expect? Them to compete with DM and GZ?

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: DCIAA

10/10/2017 7:57:16 PM
@smdeagles

First, let's remove HD from the conversation. It's the right thing to do. They have talent but their coaching costs them at least two games a season (it has cost them at least one already this year).

Second, let's differentiate between "compete" and "beat." Great, FCA can maybe (emphasis on maybe) keep a game respectable against a Wise but ultimately lose. So did Calvert Hall. And I think we can both agree that FCA wouldn't keep a game against Wise as close as Calvert Hall did. And no one talks about Calvert Hall nearly as much as folks in DC talk about FCA. And, FCA as FCA isn't a public they aren't bound to the residency restrictions that HD, Centreville and all other publics are bound to. So I guess yeah, for as much as their supporters run their mouth and as easy it is for them to pull in players from within DC (and out), I do expect them to compete at least against at least an OLGC in its current state (which isnt half bad). Let's not forget, just a few years ago FCA was able to beat Gonzaga. This season they would lose handily to both. 

Now, let's be honest about who they can actually compete against. 90% is high. Very high. FCA can likely compete with about 60-75% of the schools in the geographic range you noted. Again, they can maybe compete against a Wise (which just pummels lesser opponents and is grossly overranked - the Calvert Hall game demonstrated that). But, the past three weeks have demonstrated that they would struggle against just about every private and many publics. They have lost to a Hun program that is a blip on the NJ radar for football and pads their stats playing against NJ private and Fairchester league pushovers. They lost to a middle of the road Spalding team. And we need not talk about what happened against DeMatha. If they come out and absolutely punch Riverdale Baptist in the mouth (figuratively, not literatelly as they aren't playing HD) I will change my tune. But until then, they are basically the equivlent of a middle of the road MIAA B team or ISL team. Frankly, I hope I am wrong and they beat RB by 4-5 TDs. With the talent they have, losing to the likes of Hun and Spalding is kind of unimaginable. 

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: DCIAA

10/10/2017 8:04:37 PM
@smdeagles

Sorry, just re-read your post and say you noted that they cannot compete w a Wise. Only serves to further validate my claims. 

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: DCIAA

10/10/2017 8:35:29 PM
@NewDC_Jon

I don't think our opinions are that far apart. When did FCA beat GZ? Seems to me GZ beat them at least the last two times they played. That said, I am not placing HD at a national level by any means. But other than a few schools they can copete by and large. A different style of football? sure. I actually think the coaching is fine at HD. Saw them against Wilson last week and they were down at the half...made the adjustment on defense and dominated the second half. By the way...they have several players that would start and excel at DM, SJC, GZ or any other school you can name. Solid public school program IMO.

Reply To 1vote up 0vote down
default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: DCIAA

10/10/2017 9:27:59 PM
@smdeagles

When Gonzaga played FCA in 2009, FCA won something like 19-9. And FCA had about 35 players on that team who went on to earn D 1 scholarships. That said, if you had been at the game you would agree with the following statement: if there were such a thing as a 5th quarter in football gonzaga would have won by 2 TDs. FCA was falling apart emotionally. It was embarassing really - Rahim had no control. 

That said, while I agree on the whole that we arent that far apart (I acknowledged we are only 15-30% off on FCA), re: HD coaching I have to disagree. The coaching there isn't fine by any standard of the word. From a personal standpoint, Greg Fuller is a cheater. He has no place on any sideline. From an X's and O's standpoint, that his team, with all their D1 talent, was losing to a Wilson speaks volumes. Put them in MoCo or NoVa and HD gets spanked week in and week out. 

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: DCIAA

10/10/2017 10:41:12 PM
@NewDC_Jon

Sir I don’t know who you are but if you don’t have facts you shouldn’t speak ppl are quick to go off of what they hear and for your information the man was exhonerated of all charges and paid his money.And you can say what you want about our coaches but our kids go to school and excel on the next level meaning Saturday and Sunday and we deal with more personal issues with our kids so before you judge us spend a day in our shoes you fake ass critics I’m sick of y’all 

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: DCIAA

10/10/2017 11:01:57 PM
@lilcardo00

Actually he wasn't exonerated. It's why he was suspended. You support a cheater. And shame on you for doing so. And you support an athletics program that has a recent history of trying to sweep cheating and misbehavior under the rug (see Mines, Trey and Oliver, Frank). And shame on you for that. And shame on you for making assumptions about me. As BigBro can probably confirm, I am likely responsible for helping more kids in DCPS schools get into college than any DCIAA or DCPCS head coach currently employed by DC. And that's saying something as I haven't worked in DC in about 5 years and I haven't coached HS sports in DC (public or private) in 8 years. I did so by helping kids in DCIAA/DCPCS middle and elementary schools get out of the public and public charter school system and into private schools. To reiterate: I got them out of the hands of scumbags like Mines, Oliver, and Fuller and into coaches who will actually do right by kids and not try and use kids for their own personal glory.

But yeah, I'm a "fake ass critic." How about you actually give back to the community you claim to support before knocking those who actually do something to better the lives of your neighbors you comically misinformed POS? In the interim, shut up. Your grasp of the English language pains me and your handle on actual facts is about as solid as your average midwesterner who thinks Trump is an honest human being. You are basically the Sagitarius of HD Woodson sports. And that is the worst possible insult I can think of for this site.  

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: DCIAA

10/11/2017 8:56:52 PM
@NewDC_Jon

Funny guy with POS thing that’s actually funny but you are the one that’s misinformed because I do a lot for my team and my community.Not gonna go back and forth with you I’m done but if you have some issues my name is Larry Williams and I’m at the school everyday and with that being said ,enough said 

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: DCIAA

10/13/2017 10:46:16 PM
@lilcardo00

Alright there "Larry." Sorry you have issues with successful people who actually help people. And sweet life you have invented for yourself.

I'd love to hear your feedback on a former HD Woodson player and his story. That player is Ricardo Young. Young Ricardo was a four star QB who went off to VA Tech to play football. Unfortunately, young Ricardo was given a pass in all his classes in HS and was in no way, shape, or form ready for college. And his HS coach knew this all along but didn't care - he just wanted to keep little Ricardo eligible to play. So little Ricardo went to VA tech unprepared academically and grossly unprepared emotionally - all because of his high school coach. Because he was so laughably unprepared to hack it at VA Tech he transferrred to New Mexico State. Little Ricardo struggled there too - again he couldn't hack it, all because his HS coaches just made sure he got passed through HS and didn't get an actual education. So after flaming out there Lil Ricardo transfered yet again (but not before transferring to some CC in Iowa), this time to UMD. And as so many know, while at UMD Lil Cardo was most well-remembered for being suspended for the military bowl. 

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this young man's story and explain how Fuller isn't, at least in large part, to blame for his downfall. 

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: DCIAA

10/16/2017 2:31:15 AM
@NewDC_Jon

First and foremost you are very misinformed Ricardo was an honor roll student his whole life he has a college degree and is making a nice living for himself so whoever you got that info from you can take them and you and play in rush hour traffic 

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: DCIAA

10/16/2017 5:30:01 PM
@lilcardo00

Coach how are the kids that were at Colorado with Ken Crawley(Saints)? Both guys were grad transfers?One went to Nevada the other to Syracuse?

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: DCIAA

10/17/2017 4:31:32 PM
@tomslick88

They are all doing well and they all have degrees Dejon Wilson,Shepard Harrington and John Walker 

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: DCIAA

10/17/2017 4:39:40 PM
@lilcardo00

Good to hear.

D. Payne Iowa st graduated too right? 

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: DCIAA

10/18/2017 10:38:38 AM
@tomslick

Payne tweeted a picture in his cap and gown last spring so Im sure the answer is yes.

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: DCIAA

10/21/2017 5:37:44 AM
@smdeagles

Proud of the young fella! Very determined!

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: DCIAA

10/18/2017 10:38:24 AM
@lilcardo00

Coach you do not have to go down your list to prove to anything these clowns. There are guys that graduate college and guys that dont from both public and private schools. They never want to mention that. If its a public school kid, he didnt graduate because the high school and/or coach failed him but if its a private school kid then its all on the kid and family. There is no difference between a coach at a private school vs a public school coach as a whole but there may be a difference when you compare Coach X vs Coach Z. The high and mighty guys want to fit everyone into the sectioned off box. There are some very bad coaches and people in privates as well as public schools. The same way there are some excellent coaches and even better people in public schools as well as private schools.

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: DCIAA

10/11/2017 8:17:17 AM
@NewDC_Jon

I do not know much about Fuller and his character. I will admit some funny things have gone on over the years with kids like Adams and Payne to name a couple. That said, the couple of game I've been to HD seemed to be well prepared and made adjustments. They outcaoched Wilson last week but I don't know much about the Wilson staff. I saw the HD GZ game at Howard a couple years back...and HD was in it at the half. It is easier to oach athletes and that is what HD has  Still believe HD and FCA would fair a bit better against other conferences than you give them credit.

A big question you might have some insight on is why can't Wilson get over the hump? They looked great for a half and then the wheels came off in the second half. There is almost 2000 students in the building....that alone should give them a huge advantage over teh FCAs and HDs of the league...but somehow they lost 77-14 combined to them....what is the issue?

default avatar

10/11/2017 9:04:18 AM
@smdeagles

First thing the Adams issue was a Wilson issue not HD. He should have left Wilson earlier than he did.

Also if Fuller was paid what was owed to him while on suspension then his slate is clean.

HD coaches do a great job and have a great tradition of doing so. Ill put their storied tradition up against anybody's in DC. From All-mets selections, Gatorade players of the year to the NFL. Its all there. What f@#ks me up more than anything is the kids over there deal with so much, that the HD coaches dont get enough credit for dealing with, and getting many of the kids and their families thru. Every freakin time I turn around its something. These coaches are remarkable and I appreciate all of their hardwork, determination and focus on getting our kids the f#$k out of here. Thank you Coach Fuller, Coach Black and staff. You guys are hero's to many in one of our toughest communities. 

default avatar

10/11/2017 5:06:57 PM
@tomslick88

The Adams issue started when he tried to leave Wilson and go to HD. That's when things started getting "funny". Don't know the details but it was strange the way that went down.  

default avatar

10/12/2017 8:01:18 AM
@smdeagles

Hahaha! Yeah okay! 👀

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: DCIAA

10/12/2017 9:37:48 AM
@tomslick

So I am wrong? He (Adams) didn't try to leave Wilson to go to HD?

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: DCIAA

10/12/2017 6:36:19 PM
@smdeagles

First ask yourself why did he leave Wilson? 20+ scholarship offers and you leave...? 

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: DCIAA

10/13/2017 3:15:39 AM
@tomslick88

I don't know why he left....assuming it was to win a championship. Why else would you leave Wilson to go to HD? or at least try to go. Look...Im the one defending HD.

A sidenote is that I can't figure out what is going on at Wilson. Guys leaving and their roster is no bigger than some of the schools with a third the enrollment. Go figure. 

default avatar

10/12/2017 1:31:57 PM
@tomslick88

Appreciate you understanding what we go through and still produce positive members of society 

default avatar

10/12/2017 6:31:38 PM
@lilcardo00

Yall do a hell of a job over there champ! Everytime I chop it up with P the youngster has a smile on his face man. Keep grinding out talent!

default avatar

10/13/2017 11:03:30 PM
@tomslick88

Please do explain the following sentence: "lso if Fuller was paid what was owed to him while on suspension then his slate is clean." Would getting paid what was owed to him somehow mean he didn't cheat?

Also, I'd love to hear more about what you mean by, "HD coaches do a great job and have a great tradition of doing so," at least among their current staff. Their four year graduation rate for players receiving scholarships is a joke. They have such amazing Gatorade players of the year as Ricardo Young who, because of what he got at HD, ended up being a collegiate joke. You like to pretend that HD coaches have to deal with more than anyone else. They have to deal with as much as any DCIAA coach or anyone who runs a youth sports program in DC. They simply do a garbage job of handling that responsibllity. Yet morons like you defend them. 

Stop posting here and worry about Patrick, Tom. Everyone knows that "right arm injury" isn't why he isnt playing. 

default avatar

10/14/2017 7:54:23 AM
@NewDC_Jon

And whats your name again? I missed that post and I've been on here since 2012-13? I want to make sure I can tell my youngin youre one of his top fans.

Wlison took their run at the city and was letting every and anybody that wanted to come play into the school to include Abdul who didnt go to Deal. Actually I can remember watching him play in the 2012 middle school bball championship against Deal with P. Motley. We all know Motley went on the HD which was the neighborhood school..! And Abdul up to Wilson!

Its funny how he was told he wouldnt be able to play in DC ever again. Dayum he couldnt go back to Wilson? I wonder why..? 

And Mr.__________ (fill in the blank) because I would like to address you properly. Please share with the people why youre worried my youngin and his playing time? Or his right shoulder injury that needs surgery? Because I'm not worried one bit! Youre a Badgers fan? Or a stalker? Or taking shots at Wisconsin's athletics department? Please advise Mr.___________ (fill in the blank) Im kinda hoping youre a Badgers fan and not the latter, but your history on the sports fan speaks otherwise.

default avatar

10/13/2017 10:56:15 PM
@smdeagles

To answer your question in one word: academics. Wilson isnt a great school, but for a DC public, they are a very good one. Whereas Fuller can get any kid he wants into HD and owns their administration, Mitch Gore and the rest of the athletics dept at Wilson cannot get away with the veritable murder that some other DCIAA schools can. That's why they cannot get over the hump. You can have 2K kid (Wilson is closer to 1.8 last i checked) but if they are better served on the soccer team or joining the debate club (and kudos to all who join both) you cant hope to compete against schools that exclusively associate success with winning at football as HD and FCA do. Best way to try and understand this is HD hoops back in the day. They went undefeated in DCIAA play for god knows how many years. Do some quick research on how their players ended up once they got to college though. By my count, less that 10% graduated. It's just how HD operates. Same w FCA. Most claims from back in 2011, 12, 13 had 10-20 kids from FCA getting D1 scholarships a year. Do a quick google search on each to see how many remained in college past their redshirt year. Its sad. 

Not trying to paint Wilson as a Harvard. Nor am I trying to paint FCA or HD as a diploma mill. But HD and FCA are working under a different set of rules when it comes to football than Wilson is. Flip side is, Wilson is operating under a different set of rules when it comes to lax, crew, and the like. 

default avatar

10/13/2017 11:35:59 PM
@smdeagles

Regarding Fuller and his characger: there is nothing to know. He has none. He is a disgusting POS who preys on young athletes to prop up his own status. 

default avatar

10/16/2017 2:36:47 AM
@NewDC_Jon

I really wish you would speak what you know and I bet you wouldn’t say these things to him personally that’s what  men do. If you believe the things you say say it to him

default avatar

10/10/2017 12:13:09 PM
@FootballFanatic11

IMO. medicore coaching as a whole, Ive been to some games no empahsis on TEAM fundementals..  you are right there are great individual talent though.... 

10/10/2017 1:34:30 PM

Well FCA is NOT DCIAA football they are a charter school. Woodson seems like they will run away with the Stars division (Wilson lost alot of talent & Ballou has a couple solid players) but for the stripes seems like it will be just like last year Bell and Roosevelt competing for the title.

10/10/2017 4:15:51 PM

We are always looking for contributors, and we welcome high school and college students to apply.

If you or anyone you know is able to report/take photos at DCIAA games, please email editor@dcsportsfan.com

default avatar

10/10/2017 9:32:25 PM
@DCSportsFan.com

Umm, BigBro, I have sent multiple writing samples and several classy nude images of myself as part of my appliction to become a contributor and have heard nothing back. Mind explaining?

10/12/2017 6:27:40 AM
@NewDC_Jon

Got your writing samples and "images".....interesting. 

default avatar

10/10/2017 10:56:57 PM

I laugh over and over again because ppl on this website always talk bad about the DCIAA but every time a public middle school has a kid or kids worth anything the catholic schools run in with those fake scholarships and then the athletes end up not getting in good schools and then they run to public school coaches for help I’ve seen it on many occasions.All you have to do is look at TV the DCIAA is shining just like everybody else,all you have to do is turn on your TV and you will see that somebody is doing a good job so stop hating and give credit when it’s do

default avatar

10/10/2017 11:09:01 PM
@lilcardo00

That's funny, because I can think of dozens of HD and other DCIAA kids who got full rides to D1 programs for countless sports but flunked out because their DCIAA/DCPCS coaches saw to it that they were passed through in order to remain eligible. Frankly, off the top of my head I can think of 8 HD Woodson girls basketball players this applies to. Happy to name names seeing as how you opened this door. 

BTW, I looked at the TV the other day. I saw FCA had to accept their trophy in their win v HD on their bus because HD kids were acting like such punks that FCA had to retreat to their bus after the game. Is that an example of how the DCIAA is doing a good job?

default avatar

10/11/2017 8:59:47 AM
@NewDC_Jon

Again man speak what you know because they received their trophy on the bus because we wouldn’t allow them to celebrate on the W point blank period. You are speaking ill of Frank and Tre because they whipped up on catholic schools and that’s unacceptable from public schools. And by the way Fuller was fully exonerated. And it’s funny you trying to crack about my language I speak how I feel I don’t hide behind a website my name is Larry Williams we can speak anytime to get facts straight

default avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: DCIAA

10/13/2017 11:13:49 PM
@lilcardo00

Hey "Larry," I am speaking what I know. FCA was forced to receive their trophy on the bus because after trying to celebrate their win HD's players acted like a bunch of thugs. Who the hell cares if they celebrated at midfield? If Fuller cannot control his kids, he should at least coach them up to win games to avoid the issue. I've coached teams to losses on my home turf and my players accepted it like adults. They allowed their opponent to celebrate. Shame Fuller cannot do the same. 

And again: Fuller wasn't exonerated. He got suspended because he cheated. No one ever said he didnt. He won solely because he cheated. He cannot touch FCA because he cannot cheat as easily anymore. Again: you back a cheater. You back someone who hasn't won anything without cheating. In short, you are a bigger joke than Fuller. 

And if you really are Larry Williams, sorry you are such a shit OC that you couldnt do anything against FCA. Seriously, I've taken runny dumps that are more creative than your offense. And BTW, I don't hide behind a website. I've given my name and background plenty on this site. And when I do it it's actually truth (unlike when you claim you've helped kids). 

default avatar

10/12/2017 1:40:46 PM
@NewDC_Jon

Some kids flunk out and a lot of kids make it period,that’s not a HD problem this happens everywhere including the WCAC

default avatar

10/14/2017 9:28:22 AM
@NewDC_Jon

The college success rate is a shame if your facts are accurate. Not sure I agree the weight of the issue falls on the coach. What about the principal?, teachers?, circumstances of the kid? Parents?

Fuller may have some issues based on what you said but can't place all of the blame on him. The better question is how many of theses kids would have even had an opportunity to go to college without his efforts? At some point the buck has to stop with the kid and his parents. Fuller can't go to class with them.                                    

default avatar

10/11/2017 10:07:23 AM

The funny thing about this post is everyone always makes it a league vs league or coach vs coach thing. The playing "fields" are not equal and that makes a huge difference in  overall success of a program if you are simply measuring wins and loses. I often wonder if you swap coaches how would people feel about their almighty great coach (at whatever school you back). I know most of the coaches in this area and can honestly say that is not much difference from an XandO stand point when you compare the top teams in each league. I will just use the schools mentioned above for my example and take personal feelings and scandal out of it because they have all been accused of something.

School                   Total Enrollment                Avg Roster size (including lower levels)

HD Woodson             450 co-ed                          65

Dematha                  800 males                         150

FCA                          700 co-ed                         100

Gonzaga                   900 males                         125

Mcnamara                 800 co-ed                          90

Wilson                      1800 co-ed                        80

Just based off those numbers which may slightly different in any given year their is an advantage. If you cant admit that you are not being real with yourself. Of course there is always an expection to the rule so spare me with the school X did it with 100 boys in the school. 

Academically the schools that can hand pick students BETTER perform at higher rate than those schools that must take every student when there is an open seat. If you think only public schools "pass students through" again you are not being real. 

Scandals? Please, every league has them, every program (mostly the successful ones) have been accused of something but public opinion normally only acknowledges the ones that prove their point. Some programs do a better job of keeping their skeletons in the closet. 

Now if  you want to dive deeper into the make up of those student-athletes (and families) and what the various coaches do to meet them where they are and give them a chance to be successful we can do that also. 

Wise gets alot of credit for only playing MD publics. Dont get me wrong I love what they are doing but lets not put them so far ahead of the HDs and FCAs of the world just yet. I believe during the dominate period the only two games they played ouside of  the MPSSAA was one of the NJ privates (Blown out) and a slightly down calvert hall (a win). Sounds pretty normal for our public schools in the DMV.

default avatar

10/12/2017 8:46:13 AM
@BigGame

great point!!   slight correction:  Hd Woodson is at about 635 students

default avatar

10/12/2017 11:50:18 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIJqtWUiUCs

I believe this video speaks volumes to  what I was trying to say. You can replace the statements with whatever you want. But think about this before a lot of you talk about what coaches are "better" or "cant coach".

default avatar

10/12/2017 6:46:01 PM
@BigGame

No doubt about it

10/14/2017 10:56:38 AM
@BigGame

GREAT Post!! A lot of the posters bashing the DCIAA coaches and players appear to be guys 'Who We're Born On 3rd Base And Think They Hit A Triple'!! It's real easy to look down on the DCIAA when you've spent your whole life in the suburbs with a lot of advantages!!

Also, I believe 2 or 3 of those H.D.Woodson girls(who beat the mighty WCAC for the City Title several times) ended up graduating from Hampton within the last 2 years, so they didn't all flunk out because they were ill-prepared for college like a poster claimed!!

You must login to report abuse. Close